Saturday, January 14, 2012

What I've Learned This Week

From May 23, 2010

It became evident to me around early Wednesday morning that God was doing something in my lfe.  The pieces were just coming together so well - I knew it was the beginning of something in store, and that His presence was strong.

Sitting here on Sunday afternoon, it has just been further confirmed.  There has been one thing especially in particular that God has shown me repeatedly this past week, and it’s mainly summed up to me in Matthew 7:13-14.

Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it.  Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

Being heavily surrounded by Christians who live very similar lifestyles to me most of the time in New York (ironically, because the Christian presence is small, but it’s strong), I don’t think about it so often.  It creates this illusion that so many people are traveling down the narrow path, and with so much support, it doesn’t seem so hard.

But recently, I’ve seen the narrow path for what it truly is - empty.  I’m trudging it alone, no one in sight.  I picture it overgrown from lack of use; there’s barely even a defined path.  And the words of the above verse ring true - and there are few who find it.

It’s striking how much that exact theme has come up amongst my friends this week.  The friend I’ve seen all but one night since I’ve been home, the friend hundreds of miles away right now - like God just doesn’t want me to forget that people like me are truly one in a million.  People who don’t drink, smoke, or sex, yes, but on a much larger and more important scale than that, people who feel compelled to actually live their lives right.

Why is it so important to know that there really is no one choosing that narrow path?  Well, to expose the world as a whole as it really is - lost, hedonistic, and desolate.  To encourage me (and anyone else) to stay on the narrow path; it is imperative, because someone has to do it.  And lastly, as a calling to try and change the world.  There are few of us, but we do exist.  It’s fantastic that we choose to walk the narrow path, but it would be even better if we could influence others to do the same.

I’ve told myself before - I have to live my life right, I have to be better than the rest of them.  And it’s not a pride thing, it’s not a way to feel better about myself.  I have to do it, because someone has to.  Someone has to be better, because goodness, this world is so messed, but as long as there’s still some of us fighting down the narrow path, then there’s hope.

It’s so important to share our faith.  That’s what we’re here for, after all.  I had been wrestling with it a little bit lately, but it is just so crucial.  Why don’t we shout it out all the time?  Fear, uncertainty…but it’s become increasingly evident to me (mostly thank to a wonderful testimony given by my best friend, Beth, this past week) that every single opportunity should be taken to share the good news.  If there’s an opening, jump into it, because there’s not a single person on this Earth who doesn’t need Jesus, whether they realize it or not.

And of course I’ve struggled with the balance of passionately sharing my faith and coming off as overbearing and imposing.  And though some discretion should be used, I guess, I realized last night as I was sharing the Gospel for the first time in over a year (which is a dang shame) that there is no balance.  You’re either sharing your faith or you’re not.  Now there are different approaches for different people, but mentioning Jesus once in a conversation and never bringing it up again because the person doesn’t seem receptive gets us nowhere.  So that’s another thing I’ve learned - you can’t be a pansy about it, worrying about stepping on toes, because really, this is a matter of life and death.

Then there’s how all of these spiritual lessons tie into my dream (as in, ideal life direction, not nocturnal visions), which is at least encouraging, which is a nice balance against how discouraging it feels being a minority in every sense of the word.  But something good’s gonna come out of it, I know.

So that’s what has been reiterated in my life this week.  “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few.” (Matthew 9:37)  I won’t cite examples, but it is truly striking how much that has come up in life situations this week.  But I just encourage my fellow Christians to stay strong - to know that even though there are few of us, we are never truly alone.  This world is screwed up - but there is still hope abound.  And it starts with us, reaching out, influencing, and most importantly, loving all of those around us.  Then God can use us to make a real difference in this world.

“Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.” 1 Corinthians 13: 1-3

God is good.  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment