Saturday, January 14, 2012

"I Will Praise You, O Lord, With My Whole Heart"

From April 5, 2010

Way to perform at a Church on Easter Sunday and not mention God at all, Jonas Brothers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMg79szKzLQ&feature=player_embedded

It’s one of those statements that borderline judgmental, I feel like.  Maybe it completely dips in judgmental - I don’t know, but I can’t help but think these things sometimes.  And I made an interesting discovery about myself -if I ever do find myself passing judgment, it’s not the non-Christians that I judge; it’s the Christians.

Either way, it’s wrong - I have no right to, and I like to think that I don’t do much judging, anyway.  But being imperfect, a human sinner, I succumb to these thoughts every so often, and I hate that.  I don’t want to judge anyone at all, ever.  But these occasional thoughts stem from the fact that I just don’t understand.  Christ is my LIFE, and I know I’m not always as open about Him as I should be, but what I aim to do with my life, I aim to do it for Him.  So it’s hard to me to fathom how someone can be sitting at such a position of influence in an industry that everyone pays attention to, and not be so blatantly obvious about their faith.  I’m not talking about just admitting to being a Christian - there’s so much more to our part in the world than that.

Some celebrities do a mighty fine job of it.  I love following Tiffany Thornton on twitter - she’s explicit about her faith and mentions it often.  But when it comes to the Jonas Brothers - yes, they stay out of trouble (at least as far as the public eye can tell) and flaunt their purity rings quite well, but four albums later, and you’ve got barely a handful of songs that maybe could be contributed to God?  In interviews, on their twitters, wherever - they hardly talk about their faith anymore.  They didn’t even mention God or Jesus in the “thank you” section of their latest album.  At least Selena Gomez did that (don’t be surprised if you see a whole tumblr post about how I do like what she’s doing with her fame, for the most part). And Demi Lovato’s first paragraph in her thank you section is excellent.

I do commend them for whatever philanthropy work they do.  For not being douchebags and having clean mouths and not (openly, at least, and I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt) participating in lewd acts of debauchery.  And that does put them quite a few steps ahead than most celebrities.  But as Christians in such an influential spot, I can barely fathom the impact they could have if they openly engaged with their faith just a little more for the world to see.  Can you imagine how many people would but a Christian album of theirs, just because they’re the Jonas Brothers?  Goodness, if I was them, I would be trying to slip in Jesus’ name in every single interview I ever did.  I’d be so outspoken, because man, these are people’s lives at stake.

At least, I hope I would.  I do have the perspective and maturity to understand that I am observing all of this from a fifth-hand point of view, and to quote the catchy theme song of a popular children’s television show, everything is not what it seems.  Maybe it’s not so easy, but I suppose part of me can’t help but think that maybe they’re just not trying hard enough.

And to watch the Jonas Brothers’ appearance at Saddleback Church and to hear no explicit mention of Jesus Christ - I don’t understand that.  Nick implored people to “make the commitment [he] made and not let [miscellaneous problems] slow [them] down.”  Um, how about in times of trouble (or should I say “trying times”), seek God and keep your faith in Him?  You’re at a Church service on Easter - it’s okay to say God’s name, Nick.

I guess I’m just a firm believer - no matter who you are - that it’s just not enough to say you’re a Christian.  Even in Hollywood, I think claiming Christianity is hardly detrimental to your reputation (especially when you’re a Disney star).  It’s when you’re really open with it, bold about it, letting it be so obvious in every faucet of your life that perhaps the persecution comes, but isn’t glorifying our Lord and sharing the Word so much more important than worldy success?  If their fanbase or their Disney contract is what’s stopping the Jonas Brothers from releasing a Christian album or doing whatever, then I say “Screw it.”  They have money, they have influence, they have power - they should at least give a try.  But (in the words of Joe’s fake girlfriend) baby, that’s just me.

I just know that I dream of Hollywood so I can be a influential Christian in Hollywood.  I don’t dream of fame.  I dream of glorifying my Lord by using the talents He’s given me.  And I will do my best to share the love of Christ in all I do - implicitly and explicitly.  Definitely not saying that I’m better than anyone - I’m definitely not at all.  I just wish I’d hear more about the Jonas Brothers and their faith.  And I’m still praying for a Christian album out of them.  And actually really praying for a Christian album out of Demi Lovato - that would have me musically set for life.

On a completely separate note, why does Nick talk like a 60 year old black man that grew up playing the blues in bars down South?  Nick Jonas and Justin Bieber - the Robin Thicke and Justin Timberlake of the tween generation.

And okay, I’m about to slip into super Christian mode right now, and I don’t care, but it honestly disgusts me to see a huge “I <3 Nick” banner at a Easter Church service. What?!  That day is about JESUS, that service is about Jesus, and Nick Jonas is getting all of the glory?  That just pisses me off.  And not sure how I feel about a church service being turned into a Jonas Brothers concert, but at least people who may not have gone to church at all that day got a sermon, even if that was their original intent.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment