Saturday, January 14, 2012

Prioritize, Don't Compromise

From September 29, 2011

So thinking about my role in society and how I contribute to it, even in the slightest bit, and I’m kind of starting to feel a little convicted here, because let’s face it - ultimate hypocrite right here.  I start this movement called “Redeeming Sexuality” after being fed up by how everything - especially in media - is just so sexed up in an attempt to turn it all around, right?

Then I turn around and give money - a pretty decent amount of money - to Demi Lovato.  Who is a fantastic person with a great heart - I have so much love and respect for her - but let’s face it - she’s buying into this whole “sex sells” thing.  And with every other artist, I’m like “C’mon now - that’s not right.  I don’t condone that at all.  I don’t agree with it, so I’m not gonna bother with it.”  Despite it’s catchiness, I can’t even listen to Rihanna’s S&M, because c’mon, that’s uncalled for.  I couldn’t help but shake my head at the overt sexuality of Joe Jonas’s (OF ALL PEOPLE!) music video for Just in Love.

Meanwhile, I am 10 feet away from Demi Lovato sensually rubbing down her entire body (cooter included), and I choose to ignore it.  When someone calls me, her voice starts singing Who’s That Boy - specifically the line that goes “I can see us making ways, from the back of the club to a bed in a shade.”  Like there’s no getting around it - that’s not just sexual, that’s also a little promiscuous, considering how the song is about a boy she just saw at this club.

And this isn’t anything against Demi Lovato - I don’t think I could be against Demi Lovato if I tried (which is part of the problem here).  This is about how even just a little bit, I am buying into this sexualized culture, that says it’s okay to have sex with the boy you barely know that you just met that night at the club or that it’s okay to present yourself as a sexual object to thousands of people who are you not married to, and I know not everyone agrees that there’s something wrong with it, but I know as far as my personal convictions go, I just can’t do that.  Especially if I’m trying to start this whole big movement, but then in a way, I’m endorsing this blatant display of sexuality.  I’m barely critical about it - I’m giving my money towards it, goodness! Granted, when I bought her concert tickets and her CD, I had no idea it would entail that, but my reaction after the fact has been sort of “Well, it’s Demi, and it’s okay…” when really, it doesn’t matter who it is - it’s not okay.

And I mean, it’s Jesus first.  Always.  Even if it’s Demi Lovato second (she’s not - I have a family and friends, so she’s 4th haha), it’s definitely 100% God over everything else, and following Him, you know?  That’s what it is for me.  I’m not going to boycott Demi (I certainly will continue praying for her, like I have been for over the past year), and let’s be real, I’m not going to stop listening to her amazing album, but I’m not going to stand back and just accept the subtle things that she’s promoting as “okay”, because it’s not.  It really is not.

So that’s kind of where I am right now.  And of course, I go into to write a Christian-themed post and it somehow ends up being about Demi Lovato, too.  Of course.  That’s the weirdness of my life right now. Oh well.  I’m just praying for the right perspective and reaction here.  And I don’t know - maybe I won’t be listening to “Who’s That Boy” anymore.  Maybe not even “All Night Long” so much.  I know that sounds extreme, but I know what’s most important to me.  And despite the subject of the majority of my posts on here the past couple of weeks, it’s not Demi.  I’m out to follow God completely - and that means sacrifice and dying to myself.  It’s hard, but you know, I’m not trying to straddle the line of God and this world.  Because we can’t have both.

If anything, I’m not going to brush it aside anymore.  I’m not going to watch Demi all sexed up and act like I don’t have an opinion on it, act like it’s no big deal, not even think about it.  Let it slide.  I’m not going to start up a protest against her, but as far as the thoughts and such going on it my own line, I’m going to have to confront the fact that Demi has gotten relatively sexual, and though she is absolutely my favorite artist, I don’t agree with it.  I agree with so many other things she’s done and none of us are perfect, so I’m not holding this against her.  It’s just…it’s not right.  And I’m not going to pretend that it is, just because she’s Demi Lovato.  I need to set myself straight in that aspect.

Just wanted to share that.

No comments:

Post a Comment