Saturday, January 14, 2012

Gosh, I'm Blessed.

From June 24, 2011

I have so much.  I guess it’s easy to get caught up in the trap of “wanting more”, but I think the better way is to focus on the fact that God has a plan.  And He promises to provide all of our needs.

A few months ago, I was frustrated with the way my life was going, but as I spent more time with God, I realized how detrimental that was.  So I made a point to focus on something good in my life every time I was tempted to complain.  And it really has helped to change my perspective (and you know, as well as good ol’ fashioned prayer).

And it’s like - what do I possibly really have to complain about?  Starting with the fact that I get to spend eternal life with a Savior who loves me more than I can fathom.  That fact alone overrides anything negative I encounter in life.  I mean, life on earth is temporary - Jesus is forever, you know?

But even beyond that.  I’m healthy.  I’m well-fed.  I live in a nice house.  I have amazing parents, a great little brother, and the best friends in the world.  I’ve been blessed with plenty of talents that I get to use often, and Selena Gomez just released the catchiest song ever that has made my day.  When I really take a second to dwell on it, it’s hard to find anything worth complaining about in the face of my blessings.

It’s just something I implore everyone to do.  Life isn’t perfect at all.  And sometimes really terrible things do happen.  But often times, I think we make bigger deals than necessary out of the so-called bad things in our life.  And if you’re a follower of Christ, you have the comfort of knowing that God will work all things for the good for those who love Him (Romans 8:28).  So even when something truly unfortunate happens, we know that something good will eventually come out of it.

Just having this perspective - little inconveniences, like being stuck on a train in the middle of nowhere for two hours, doesn’t seem so bad.  And even bigger things - like the fact that my parents are divorced - aren’t so detrimental.  Because at least the train didn’t crash and at least both of my parents are active in my life, so you know, I’m choosing not to focus on the bad.  I’m choosing to focus on God, trust in His plan, know that He’ll work out things for the good, and relish in the blessings He’s given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment