Saturday, January 14, 2012

Patience and Contentness

From December 8, 2011


God has taught me two things in particular in the past year:

The importance of patience.  In every little thing - with how we act with people and in anticipation for whatever to happen.  God gets it done in His own time, whether we’re anxious about it or not.  And there’s so much peace to be found in patience.

And when I look back on certain things I’ve wanted so badly and wanted right at that instance, but didn’t get at that instant - I see there was a reason behind it.  And in a lot of cases, I eventually got those things I wanted.  In some cases, it was literally years later - but I still got them.  And I found that once I did have them, the wait seemed like nothing at all.

Secondly, I’ve learned not to necessarily be disappointed when I don’t get something I want.  Because I know this is the cliched Christian response, but that just mean that God has something even better.  And I’d rather wait (going back up to that patience thing) for God’s best than immediately accept my sub-par, you know?  Naturally as a human, I’m going to have desires and expectations, but not many of them are going to ever be met.  But the bigger lesson that encompasses these two points is total trust in God.  Something I would not be able to do on my own, but thank goodness for the Holy Spirit empowering and God teaching me to help me be able to trust Him so much through His grace.

I just know that I have no idea what’s best for me.  Sometimes I think I know, but in reality - I don’t.  God, however, knows.  So I’m just gonna let him direct my life and accept gratefully whatever opportunities and experiences He gives me.  And respect His sovereignty when He withholds certain things from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment