Saturday, January 14, 2012

He shall overcome.

From February 6, 2009

John 16:33

"These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world, you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."

Interesting how I came across this verse earlier tonight, already highlighted, during Bible study when we were looking at a different, unrelated passaged in John. Interesting because later that night, this was the verse that framed my exact mindset, because I have no doubt in my mind that the words of that verse is absolutely true, but it is so frustrating to know that people who hold my same beliefs, own the same Word, overlook this in favor of saturating in the pains and trials of this world. Frustrating because more than anything, I just want people to have the same peace of mind that I have, and it's so close within their reach, but it's denied.

It was all these thoughts going through my head as I sat on the phone with my mom, in the midst of recession talk and stories of the distress of her clients, when I recalled that perfect verse I had encountered hours before. And John 16:33 holds so many wonders, from the words Jesus spoke, to the fact that that verse was so meticulously and purposely reappeared in my life at the exact moment I needed it to be. The fact that it was previously highlighted, thus ensuring that it would catch my attention. How the way it was highlighted lets me know that it was from a church service rather than my own studies, meaning it wasn't even necessarily something that personally struck me at the moment, but rather something I was instructed to read. The timing and the fit were perfect - that is God for you.

And I don't care if I sound foolish. These moments happen to frequently for me to be able to possibly dismiss them as mere coincidence or chance. I took statistics - the odds aren't that good. And maybe more so foolish by definition of others than believing that God's careful hands guided everything in a planned and flawless way up to the exact moment that a verse came to my attention is that I have a total peace of mind. Every thing that is going wrong is flying into my face from multiple directions, and I find myself not flinching, but smiling and living, and most importantly, believing, because this strength definitely does not come from myself, but rather from Jesus, because I have faith in every single promise He has laid out for me in His Word, and in the face of recession, divorce, housing crisis, and whatever else may be flawed, my life is perfect solely because of His love for me and what that results in.

Don't you see what He's telling us? Be of good cheer. He's not just telling us to believe - He's telling us to keep our spirits high. It's a habit to believe that everything will work out for the good, but to do so in depression and apathy - drudging through days with heads down waiting sadly for the moment when it call gets better. But if we know it will get better, then why wade in the depths? Let us laugh and sing - look these things that plague us straight in the eye and smile widely, because we know that there is something greater that we have. Greater than the world and all its troubles.

What I love is that Jesus does not skirt around the truth. He straight up tells us - the world will have tribulations. Not might. Not possibly. Will. There's never a guarantee that life in this world will be flawless - in fact, there's a guarantee that it will be quite the opposite. But what's amazing is that we're offered peace through Him. And I think Christians have a habit of getting so bogged down in our lives that we forget that. And it's truly tragic, because Jesus offers such an amazing thing to us, and we ignore it. We could have peace, but instead we let these tribulations attack our spirits.

So the walls are closing all around me. But I ignore it. I've found myself far away from the trivial problems that use to plague me in high school, because know I'm in the midst of serious problems - greater than I've ever known - and I don't know how they will affect my family and I. But in these moments when everything could easily fall apart - not just externally, but inside of me - I have chosen to graciously accept Jesus' offer of peace. And I have the upmost confidence that He will see me through. And believe me, I'm looking forward to see how He helps us overcome these hurdles, because by my limited understanding, I see no way, but I know that with Him, there is always a way.

And I don't know if you can comprehend (or maybe you can) how amazingly sound I feel right now, having that confidence in my Lord. I respect the tribulations at hand, I don't underestimate them, but I know my Lord, and I know that things will be taken care of. I don't know how or when, but they will. And that is good enough for me.

So I am going to be in good cheer, because Jesus says I can. I will go through my life, not letting these tribulations touch my mood or spirit. I will smile and laugh. I will dance and love. I will hold on with every fiber of my being to the power of my Lord, because that's all that will get me through. And I encourage every believer who hasn't already to let go to the burdens and do the same. Because you know what?

Jesus has overcome the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment