Saturday, January 14, 2012

Forever.

From February 26, 2010

I found myself consumed by the Word earlier today while having a Bible study with a close friend of mine, and as these things often do we were led off of the path we originally intended on following and ended up talking about eternity.

It isn't something I've particularly thought about in depth lately, but the times I do think about it it has my head spinning. The concept of infinity - it's obviously something we're just not meant to truly comprehend in our human minds. As I discussed eternity today, however - this concept of forever - I wasn't slammed confusion or the disorienting of my mind, but rather felt a comforting blanket of peace and most distinctly, excitement, bubble up warmly in my stomach. I didn't take the time in the moment to try and discover why. I just knew I couldn't keep the goofy smile off of my face.

Now I have a chance to let that settle. What is it exactly that's so alluring about eternity - something that is so incomprehensible ? But I realize, it lies simply in this: to spend forever basking in the ever present glory of God...nothing seems better.

In fact, if I were to lay out my idea of perfection right now, describe what makes up my craziest, most coveted fantasies - that's what it is right there. Forever with my Lord, who I love so much, who loves me even more. Who knew paradise could be worded so simply? And the most amazing part is, it's so obtainable...in fact, it's already secured. Sometimes I lament over the fact that it seems like I have nothing to look forward to. Another day identical to the one last week, and maybe graduation is creeping around the corner, but that's still months away, and what happens after I'm handed my diploma, anyway?

But that's a foolish train of thought, because I have the most amazing thing waiting for me. It's certain, and it's wonderful, and I can't wait for perfection. I can't wait to be smiling all the time. I can't wait to bow before my Lord, and sing His praises in His very presence - forever! Being somewhat of a closet commitment-phobe who can hardly even stay still for more than a few minutes, the concept of forever should be frightening. But with the Lord involved, it just has me feeling like I'm floating.

The conversation of eternity naturally turned to what exactly will it be like once we're in this new Heaven and Earth. And of course, maybe details are foggy, widely left up to interpretation, but we came across this verse that describes it perfectly. As I read the words out loud, I almost wanted to cry at the sheer power. It's hopeful, touching, and is just a spectacular testimony of how my God loves us all. To know that this is what my future brings - how can I ever feel discouraged? Because pain and struggle of the right now will eventually pass. So I would like to share this verse with all of you.

Revelations 21:4 (NKJ)
"And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."

So epic. What a much better ending that whatever people are theorizing about 2012. Except, well, it never really ends, now does it?

No comments:

Post a Comment