Saturday, January 14, 2012

Luke.

From February 14, 2008

The other day, I finished up reading the book of Luke (from the Holy Bible, in case you didn't know), and I figured I'd put here the verses that stuck out to me for anyone who may enjoy it.

What I really liked about this book is just being able to read the words spoken directly by Jesus. I especially love the parables - the metaphors, though simple, resound deeply. Then just reading all the things Jesus did in His life - impressive. I get inspired by reading this book to be as much like Him as possible.

And as I read this book, I realize how much I wish I could've been a disciple. I do consider myself a disciple of sorts due to my dedication to and thirst for Jesus, but to be able to have the opportunity to drop everything right there and follow Him would've been amazing. That's what I'm trying to do right now, but I'm not sure how. Well, I am sure how, just not sure how to get on that path, but God will surely show me the way.

Anyway, without further ado:

9:25 - "What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?"

That is exactly how I feel. He's pretty much speaking against selling out, but in a spiritual sense. But it can be applied to anything. It's important to be true to yourself and how you feel - don't give up that to get something less.

12:22 - "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat, or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes."

Just speaking out against superficiality and trivial concerns.

14:11 - "For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

Something I need to remind self of at times.

14:13&14 - "But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous."

15:7 - "I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who do not need to repent."

These two verses just remind me how important it is to reach out to people, rather it be those less fortunate or when it comes to witnessing. And how even though there are plenty of people going the right path, just getting one more to follow is amazing.

16:13 - "No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."

This verse just reminds me of my little brother, haha. He's too concerned with money. A lot of people are. I couldn't careless.

16:15 - "You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of men, but God knows your hearts. What is highly valued among men is detestable in God's sight."

Seriously! The world's view on practically everything is so skewed. The things they embody are seriously overrated (coughoverconsumptionofalcoholcough and other things). People are so concerned about having a good time by definition of this world or being acceptable towards me, when only God matters.

17: 2-4 - "It would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around his neck than for him to cause one of these little ones to sin. So watch yourselves. If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him. If he sins against you seven times in a day and seven times comes back to you and says, 'I repent,' forgive him."

The first part of that - as Christian, we need to be a good example to others around us. So this verse helps remind me of that - to make sure I'm living my life right so I don't influence others to sin. The latter part - forgiveness. It's something I have struggled with in the past, and though I say I have forgiven everyone now, sometimes I don't think I necessarily act like it. So I like to be reminded that I should forgive everyone.

18:17 - "I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."

A characteristic of a child, first off, is that they don't feel the need to question every single little thing. Nitpicky details don't matter - just Jesus is our Savior, trust God, and all things will be good.

18:29 - "'I tell you the truth,' Jesus said to them, 'no one who has left home or wife or brothers or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God will fail to receive many times as much in this age and, in the age to come, eternal life.'"

Just encourages me to sacrifice it all for His sake.

22:49-51 - "When Jesus' followers saw what was going to happen, they said, 'Lord, should we strike with our swords?' And one of them struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear. But Jesus answered, 'No more of this!' And he touched the man's ear and healed him."

See, that's just amazing to me. These men were coming to arrest Jesus for no good reason and eventually kill Him, yet He still heals the guy who gets his ear chopped off. This man essentially deserves to lose an ear, but Jesus still helps Him out.

23:34 - "Jesus said, 'Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.'"

Once again, forgiveness. Despite it all, Jesus was willing to forgive those who were crucifying Him. So I should be willing to forgive.

So yeah, that's all. Luke is now definitely one of my favorite books, along with Acts, Romans, and I Peter. I practically inhaled Luke - I couldn't get enough. If you haven't read it already, I suggest you do.

Anyway, yeah, that's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment