Saturday, January 14, 2012

Some More Thoughts on Selflessness and Love

From January 14,  2011

What can I say - I’m full of ‘em today!  And what’s a blog for?  Yeah, exactly.

So the other night, my friends and I watched the movie “Bride Wars.”  I was admittedly very skeptical about it - I knew it had gotten horrible reviews, and I won’t deny being a bit of a film snob (film school will do that to you), so I wasn’t exactly excited to be watching it.

I’d love to say that the movie exceeded my expectations.  But no, it was terrible.  Surprisingly, though, what bothered me most was not the uninspired plot, the implausible moments, the unoriginal dialogue, or the faulty character development.  Nope, what drove me crazy about the movie was its morals.

Of course movies often times try to redeem the most appalling behavior with some character redemption or lesson learned at the very end - Bride Wars is no exception.  They did it very poorly, though, so it just made the terrible morals of the movie stand out even more to each other.  The two main characters treated each other so horribly - I couldn’t even laugh at the gags.  Instead I was appalled that two people would so purposely and maliciously sabotage each other.

And even though I know they’re fictional characters who ceased to exist once the end credits rolled, I couldn’t help but think that what they need was some Jesus.  The distinct lack of love in that movie was so appalling - how is it remotely okay to treat someone like that?  I just found myself constantly wishing throughout the film that they would exhibit Christ-like qualities and subscribe to the love of Jesus.  I know there would be no conflict if the characters actually acted in love, but the movie was terrible anyway - they might as well have just made it like that.  I don’t want to watch people do horrible things to each other in a mediocre casing for 90 minutes.

But here’s another movie example.  I have somehow found myself back in my terrible sleeping habits after taking a hiatus this past semester and discovered that The Disney Channel often times plays old school Disney Channel movies at 3 in the morning - commercial free!  So I was stoked to see one morning that Brink! was coming on.

For those who don’t know, Brink! is a movie about four teen roller bladers.  There’s more to it - but that’s not the point.  There was one point in the movie where the main character, Brink (see where the title comes from?), and his crew are skating against the rival skaters in a relay-type race.  Brink is tagged by one of his teammates and starts to race the final leg of the run.  The other guy is behind, however, because his teammate has fallen before he can tag him.

Once the rival does get tagged, he goes ahead and starts racing, leaving his injured and moaning teammate behind in a heap on the ground, because all he’s caring about is winning this race.  Brink, however, notices that the rival teammate hurt and abandons the race to help the guy out.  As he’s checking the guy’s arm and telling people to call the ambulance, the injured guy (who happens to be the same actor who plays the original black Power Ranger haha) is looking at Brink incredulously for helping him out, and even asks him, “What’s wrong with you?” (or something like that).

Now this movie has no religious agenda whatsoever.  I’m pretty sure nothing about God or anything is ever mention - it’s all about being Soul Skaters!  But as I watched that scene, there was no doubt in my mind that Brink was a Christian.  It sound silly, I know, but it was just so striking to me.  The selfless behavior, the love shown towards his “enemy.”  The movie had set up all this bad blood between Brink and that other crew of skaters - for him to give up on this race he was winning where so much pride was at stake to help the enemy, even though there were plenty of people around to help the guy…I think that really says something about him.  It’s the kind of thing us Christians are called to towards by Christ.  If he would’ve continued on the race, feigned like he didn’t know the gravity of the other guy’s injuries - no one would’ve held it against him.  But the fact that even the injured guy thought Brink was dumb for helping him out - that’s telling, too.

Now most lead characters on TV are decent people.  They’re definitely likable.  But rarely do they tend to do things that make me think “Oh, that person is totally a follower of Jesus, even if the writer didn’t mean them to be or isn’t gonna acknowledge it.”  Brink was the second time (we’ll get to the first later…and the third in a second) in recent memory that I’d really felt that about a character.  Of course he puts that in jeopardy a little as the movie goes on, but as for that scene - that was a total Christ move (TCM!)

Now some of you know that I love Alex Russo from Wizards of Waverly Place.  I think her character is hilarious, compelling, and I want to be her best friend.  She’s a total anti-hero, but I admittedly like that about her.  However as far as morals go, she has very little redeemable qualities, I do admit it.  The other Disney characters - totally decent people who do the right thing, but don’t seem to be actively striving towards always doing the best thing, especially in how they treat others.

With one exception, and you are going to think I am ridiculous, but Sonny Munroe from Sonny With a Chance - totally a Christian in the way that Christians are supposed to be.  As far as the Disney Channel goes, she’s the protagonist that acts out Christ’s principles the best and most, and yes, it’s striking to me.  She’s always looking to help out someone, always believes in the best in people and tends to see the positives of situations, and encourages her friends often to do the right thing.  I don’t know if that tells much - there are plenty of specific examples, I’m sure - but I just know as I’ve been watching more Sonny With a Chance lately, that really jumped out to me.  And I promise it has nothing to do with my Demi Lovato bias haha

To close out this already so long post that’s kind of lost direction and gotten a little diluted since I’ve been distracted so many times since I began to read it - that first time that I really kind of noticed Christ-like qualities in a fictional character was when I was watching Beauty and the Beast last month.  Yep, Belle is totally a Christian.  I mean, that movie is full of Christian themes anyway, but how she sacrifices herself for her father and is able to see the Beast for who he really is and love him regardless of his mistakes and appearance, plus her general demeanor and actions.  Totally saw Christ in there, whether that was the writer’s intentions or not.

That’s all.

No comments:

Post a Comment