Saturday, January 14, 2012

My Personal Relationship.

From September 7, 2008

I think what most people's problems with accepting Christianity lies in the fact that it is looked at in too scientific of a way and society influences their perception too much. There's an unfortunate emphasis of the "religion" aspect of it, which is a completely man-made term and has nothing to do with what I believe in. The so-called traditions and standards, morphed through the ages to conform to specific people, rather than hitting at the heart what Christianity really actually means - love.

People get caught up in the supposed "illogic" and "unintelligence" of a belief in God, stating that there is no proof - that it's just an impossibility. Which I find to be ridiculous, personally. I cannot look at the intricacies of this world and life, examine things I've been through, and believe that it is just coincidence and chance. That there is nothing greater behind it. That is just irrational to me.

It's not just blind faith for me, however. When others talk about religion, it is in such an impersonal way. Because religion is impersonal - I am not at all a believer in religion. What I have is a relationship, as real as anybody else's relationship with their father or a friend. It's something strong, personal, touching, and comforting - and in it lies something so undeniably real. Now, I'm not an irrational person, who gives into imaginary emotions and fabricated feelings. It is the times where I am not trying to feel God where I feel him most prevalently. I haven't always been as fervent in my beliefs as I am now, and there's a distinct difference when you allow God to be actively present in your life.

With that personal relationship with God, all the confines of "religion" disappear. All the problems of religion disappear. Hypocrisy and manipulations, insincerity - it all fades. I don't want to condemn, judge, act as if I am above anybody else - I simply want to love. Which should be on the forefront of all Christian's minds before all else. A love for our Lord and a love for all those around us.

Unfortunately, because love is not at the forefront it should be with a lot of people, the title of Christianity is tainted. People get a bad taste in their mouths at the mention - I don't blame them. When you see the way some Christians treat homosexuals, supposedly in the name of God, or goes around condemning people to hell - it's appalling. And of course those who live two separate lives - it doesn't show our Lord in a good light at all, which is a shame.

Beyond the misconceptions of what Christianity really is supposed to be, atheists do tend to have a problem with the actual image of God Himself, but I do believe that a lot of them derive their informations from the wrong sources. Or else, it's just simplified. There is a lot to the Bible than meets then eyes, that does require intricate study and a complete knowledge of the context.

The thing is, those set against being so against my faith spent more time studying the evidence against rather than the evidence for. It's bound to happen - just a subconscious bias. In order to create a thorough decision, both sides of the issue to need to be covered.

Now I'm somewhat distracted as I write this, so I'll probably leave more to another note. But I do want to point out "The Case for Christ", a book written by an atheist who sent out to disprove Christianity and ended up becoming a Christian himself. It's an intriguing concept, right?

But you come from an event like Prayer in the Square, when thousands of people are packed into a block at Times Square, praising and worshipping sincerely and passionately, and you can just feel a greater power at work. Something undeniable. I'm sure everybody who walked by - believer or not - felt something to. A mere myth able to compel so many people so consistently for so long. To change around so many lives. That's not some religion - that's God.

No comments:

Post a Comment