Saturday, January 14, 2012

I Corinthians 13:4-7

From August 3, 2011

“Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude.  It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; It does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.  Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.” I Corinthians 13:4-7

I am patient and kind.  I do not envy or boast.  I am not arrogant or rude.  I do not insist on my own way.  I am not irritable or resentful.  I am do not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoice with the truth.  I bear all things, believe all things, hope all things, endure all things.

—-

We did that exercise up there with Cru last year, and it’s a really convicting, revealing thing - to substitute “I” for “love” in that passage.  I just read a devotional that implored me to do the same thing, and let’s face it - I am at best half of those things.  Maybe 80% of them on a good day.  Practically none of them in my disgruntled state yesterday.

But I want to be all of those things.  Not to be “holier than thou”, to be able to say that I am so godly and to feel good about myself, but so I can treat people right, because people need to be treated right.  They hardly ever deserve to be, but I don’t think that should stop us.  And mostly, I want people to be able to see Jesus’ love through me, so that they can come to know Him and experience it personally for themselves.

It really is all about how you treat people.  And I ant to really strive to stop throughout my day and ask myself, “Am I being patient?  Am I being kind?  Am I exemplifying the love I claim to believe? That I claim dictates my entire life and faith?”

If I’m not, then there’s a problem.  I’m saved regardless, I’m loved by God regardless, but I don’t want to stay stagnant in my walk.  I don’t want to waste time, having a bad attitude, being absorbed and concerned with myself when there are people out there who need to be touched, reached - who just need to experience real love.  I don’t want to be a good person for the sake of being a good person.  I want to be a good person for the glory of God.  I want to be a good person for the sake of who I come across throughout my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment