Saturday, January 14, 2012

Christianity and religion - synonymous?

From January 13, 2012

I suppose that I don’t see calling myself a Christian synonymous with being religious.  I guess I simply take it was being a follower of Christ.  People get so caught up with words sometimes - denying the title of Christian because of the supposed connotation, not wanting to come off as religious.  But Christianity doesn’t mean religion to me.

It’s like when fan girl followings adapt a name for themselves based on who they’re a fan of.  Justin Bieber and his “Beliebers.”  Lady Gaga and her “Monsters.”  Demi Lovato and her “Lovatics.”  It’s their identity, a sign of who their devotion goes towards.  So for me, it’s Jesus Christ and His Christians.  In my mind, it’s an identity that reflects my love for Him, and how I’m a follower of Him.

Obviously, if people honestly followed Christ and not religion, then non-believers wouldn’t have such a case to build against us throughout the ages.  Crusaders and all other proponents of what’s essentially misjustice - that’s acting out of religion.  Actually, no, that’s not even acting out of religion - that’s acting out of self-motives and trying use religion as a justification.  And they get away with it, because religion is what man wants it to be.  A set of rules, standards, doctrines that are heavily influenced by the wants of whatever man is in charge more so than what is actually right.

Christ transcends religion.  Christ was in a sense sent down to destroy religion.  The institution that said we had to do this and that and whatever in the sense of works to obtain salvation - He obliterated that by taking on our sins for Himself, dying with them, and rising above them.  And while at it, He left us with invaluable words and lessons - most of them spoken directly against the most religious folks of His time.

Christianity isn’t a religion.  It’s anti-religion.  It’s the confirmation that religion will get you nowhere, but grace will get you everywhere.  And the time that religion is defined in the New Testament, it’s as this: “to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.”  So if taken in that sense, religion isn’t even bad at all, not one bit.

I think if people really came know what it truly meant to follow Christ, it would revolutionize the way Christians are viewed.  Mostly, if Christians would actually follow Christ instead of trying to change Scripture into their own rules in an attempt to feel more sanctified and holy on their own terms, as opposed to through the grace of God.  And the more I dwell on it, the more that directly following Jesus actually really contradicts the supposed Christian lifestyle of today.

I guess two things really stand out to me when I read through the Gospel and the things that Jesus calls us to do: spread His word through love and serve those around us, especially the poor.  And it really seems like those are to the two things we really don’t do, us Christians as a whole.  People are so quick to persecute homosexuals, but so hesitant to share the Gospel with them, or anyone else.  A Gospel of grace, a Gospel that can be accepted by anyone in any position, regardless of where they are in life or what they’ve done.  It’s so easy for us to pass judgment and a form of hate under the pretense of supposed holiness, and easier, it seems, to keep silent about to transform love and grace of our Savior.

On the same line, people are quick to rally against, let’s say abortion, yet loathe to do anything practical to help these mothers who feel like they have no way of raising a child.  We’re so quick to hone in on the issue, yet ignore the people.  The people that Jesus loves so much, who He came to give rest to.  We push them aside to pursue our own agenda.  Set on winning a battle within the government (which is mad corrupt, no matter what party you’re voting for, by the way) instead of reaching out and helping our fellow man.  We’ll give money easily to these abrasive, loveless billboards, but won’t give any resource to the poor, the homeless, the downtrodden, the unlucky.

This is just touching the surface, though.  Because of course I don’t believe sharing some love and money means that we can do whatever we please in every other aspect of our lives.  I believe we are to live a life that is glorifying to God in every sense - not because of some religiosity or merit-based system that will land us in heaven, though, but out of a true, deep love and devotion for our Savior, you know?  I am going away from the ways of the world, because what has the world given me?  Nothing that will last.  What has my God given me?  A salvation and eternal life that I certainly do not deserve.  I love Him so much for it, so that loves drives me to follow His commandments.  Not to present myself as holier than anyone.  I serve and give of myself for others, but when it comes to following God’s commands - that’s all for Him.

I don’t know - these thoughts were just swarming in my head after I read some less than chipper comments directed against Christianity on youtube.  It’s really been resonating in me lately (though maybe it’s just because I’ve been reading The Hunger Games) - this is a battle we’re engaged in, really.  We’re in a constant fight to save souls, and they’re are so many forces working against us.  But I just know I’m ready to buckle down, put on the armor, and fight for the love of the Lord.  I’m ready to accept to criticism, the persecution, the feeling of not fitting in, and sacrifice a sense of worldly acceptance and success for it.  Because I mean, this is war, isn’t it?  Not in the sense we’d traditionally define war as, but it’s God vs Satan for souls.  And we know the Lord wins in the end, but many souls will be lost in the meantime.  And I think it’s imperative that we make sure the causality count is as low as possible at the end of it all.

Tim Tebow is literally my favorite person right now.  In the public spotlight, talking openly about Jesus, and getting hate for it.  But making such an impact because of it.  And refusing to stop, no matter what criticism comes his way.  And I think we can see that the Lord is blessing Him because of it.

Anyway, that’s what was on my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment